Into the traditional 60. Hence confirmed by the BCCI, the IPL 2022 tournament will be played in the 2011 format.
And if you’re wondering what exactly are the rules for this new format or how the IPL 2022 will be played, keep on reading. More, getting the know-how of the new IPL format will help you in your 2022 IPL betting.
IPL 2022 New Format:
If you’re only exposed to the traditional IPL match format, getting to understand this new format might be a little overwhelming for you. But, we’ve tried making the rules simpler to understand. Let’s go through the new IPL tournament format step-by-step.
- A total of ten teams will be playing the tournament with a total of 74 matches, including 4 play-offs. The division of games is given below.
- There will be two groups with 5 teams each.
- Firstly, each team will play 14 matches (once home and once away) with the other 4 teams from the same group.
- Then, the same team will play 4 teams from the other group once, and the remaining team twice.
- Now, this division of teams in each group and who will play whom between or across the groups will be decided by a random draw.
- After this group stage phase comes the IPL knockout format, where the top 4 teams from the IPL points table will be playing against each other.
- In the Qualifier 1 round, the top two teams will play against each other.
- And then, in the Eliminator Round, the 3rd and 4th ranked teams will play against each other.
- This is followed by the Qualifier 2 round where the loser of the Qualifier 1 round will play against the winner of the eliminator round.
- In the final round, the winners of Qualifiers 1 and 2 will play against each other. And the one who wins this round will have the opportunity to hold the IPL trophy for the year 2022.
- The IPL points table will follow a system where each winning team over a match will be given 2 points against the losing team that will be given 0 points. Or in the case of the draw, each team will be given 1 point.
Total Matches in 2022:
As reported by the BCCI, there will be a total of 74 matches in the IPL 2022 format including 4 play-offs. So, this new format will have an addition of 14 matches with 70 group stage matches and 4 knockout matches.
IPL 2022 New Teams:
On the 25th of October 2021, a bidding war was held in Dubai by the BCCI, among nearly 10 competitors. And this war was being won by the RPSG Group of Sanjiv Goenka and CVC Capital, an international investment firm.
Now, the CVC Capital will own the Ahmedabad-based franchise and the RPSG Group will own the Lucknow-based franchise. However, these two franchises are yet to be named.
Moreover, the RPSG Group bought the Ahmedabad team for over 932 million USD. And the CVC Capital bought the Lucknow team for over 692 million USD, getting BCCI to earn a whopping 1.7 Billion dollars with the same of these two teams.
Now there will be Mega Auction 2022 where each team will have the right to keep at least 2 uncapped players with a retention rate not exceeding 4. And each new team can only pick 1 uncapped player before the auction along with 2 Indian and 1 foreign player from the Mega auction pool.
With the addition of two new teams in IPL, the IPL match format is going to change. The tournament this time will not follow the same traditional format in the year 2022, as it is not possible for the 10 teams to play 14 matches (home and away).
Or else, it will be an addition of 34 more matches.